While many of us enjoy the pool or beach, injuries may not be the first thing on our minds. Yet, according to Safe Kids worldwide, drowning is the leading cause of injury-related death among children ages 1 and 4, and the third leading cause of death among children. Small children can drown in as little as one inch of water.
Florida Peninsula would like to share a few water safety tips to ensure your child’s safety in and around water:
· Actively supervise children around open bodies of water, giving them your undivided attention.
· Enroll in swimming lessons. Teach children how to tread water, float and stay by the shore.
· Whether you’re swimming in a backyard pool, beach, or lake, teach children to always swim with an adult or an older, more experienced swimmer.
· Make sure kids swim only in areas designated for swimming. Teach them swimming in open water is not the same as swimming in a pool. They need to be aware of uneven surfaces, river currents, ocean undertow and changing weather.
· Never leave your child alone in or near water, even in places considered shallow.
· Empty all tubs, buckets, containers and wading pools immediately after use. Store them upside down and out of children’s reach.
· Keep toilet lids closed and use toilet seat locks to prevent drowning. Keep doors to bathrooms and laundry rooms closed.
· Keep in mind swimming aids such as water wings or noodles are fun toys for kids, but they should never be used in place of a U.S. Coast Guard-approved personal flotation device (PFD).
· Educate your children about the dangers of drain entanglement and entrapment and teach them to never play or swim near drains or suction outlets.
· Install a door or window alarm and keep pool covered or fenced, using four-sided fencing that’s at least 4 feet high and has a self-closing, self-latching gate to prevent a child from wandering into the pool area unsupervised.
· Learn CPR. Local hospitals, fire departments and recreation departments offer CPR training.
Keeping your family and home safe and protected is job one at Florida Peninsula Insurance Company. We are one of Florida’s largest homeowners insurance companies offering multi-peril policies covering homes, condos and contents coverage in the form of renters insurance.
Currently rated by 0 people