Winter gardening can be a challenge. Most people don't even think it's possible. In order to save your plants in the winter, you must guard them against wind, root damage due to fluctuating temperatures and protect them from drying out. Please take these suggestions into consideration this winter in order to save your plants:
- Avoid exposing your plants: Inconsistent temperatures can cause significant injury to your plants. As a result of this, your plants could even be heaved out of the pot. To avoid this sort of damage, place your pots over soil instead of directly on the pavement can be dangerous, since the sun will quickly heat up, causing your pots to freeze and thaw many times during the day.
- Choose a bigger pot: When choosing pots for your plants, bigger is always better. A smaller pot will freeze faster than a large one. The surrounding soil will provide proper insulation for plant roots. You should also choose a pot with at least one inch of thickness for enhanced protection. Smaller pots also tend to dry out faster than larger ones, therefore, it's a win-win.
- Find the perfect place: Your pot's location will determine how well it will be protected during the winter. Be sure to place your plants on the shadier side of the house to avoid direct exposure to sunlight.
- Remember to water your plants: There is a lot less rainfall in the winter, so you must remember to sufficiently water your pots. The ultimate time to water is when temperatures are above freezing. If the forecast predicts windy of freezing conditions, try to get this task done before hand.
- Bring them indoors: Some garden plants are perfectly capable of thriving indoors. Test different areas of the house where sunlight is less intense. Seeing flowers indoors is also a great reminder of what your garden once was, and can be seen as inspiration for next Spring.
Remember, in order to save your plants, you need to give them a hand. Follow these tips and you'll be able to see your beautiful plants for the entire season.
Thank you for visiting our blog. Florida Peninsula Insurance Company is one of Florida's top homeowners insurance companies. Our cutting-edge technology combined with old-fashioned values, enables us to provide outstanding customer service and claims processing. To obtain a free home insurance quote, call (877) 229-2244 or visit the get a quote
section on our website
Currently rated by 0 people