As the holidays approach, it is important to make safety your number one priority. When it comes to decorating your Christmas tree, keep these 5 safety tips in mind:
- Watch out for the little ones: Until you can be sure your Christmas tree is standing on its own without tipping over, you should not allow small children to be in the same room. With all the excitement going on surrounding the tree, they may not be aware it may still be unstable. When the tree is sturdy and positioned, you can welcome them into the room to decorate.
- Avoid glass ornaments around children: Ornaments are extremely fragile, especially glass ones. Much younger children do not have full coordination, therefore, it is suggested you use plastic or soft ornaments. If there are glass ornaments, they should be hung higher on the tree by adults only. Should they fall and break, a child could be startled and injured in the process.
- Fire-Proof: Consider purchasing a flame-retardant Christmas tree this year to reduce the chances of a fire in your home. These is also a spray you can purchase for a tree which is not flame- retardant. By searching online or asking a store employee when you are out shopping, you will be able to find specific manufacturers which carry these items.
- Avoid open flames: Keep candles and heat sources away from the tree and all other decorations. According to the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association), although Christmas tree fires are not common, when they do occur, they are likely to be more serious.
- Check your lights: Before stringing the lights around the Christmas tree, inspect for any worn or broken cords, or loose bulb connections. You should also read the instructions for the maximum recommended light strands to connect. Connecting too many lights could be a fire hazard.
- Fence the tree: If you have pets and children who crawl (or like to climb) in your home, consider placing a fence around your tree. This may not be the most glamorous set up for a Christmas tree, but it is the safest. Small children may have the urge to pull or climb the tree, which can lead to tragedy.
We hope you will take these suggestions into consideration this year when installing your Christmas tree. Wishing you a happy and safe holiday season.
Thank you for visiting our blog
. Hopefully you came away with some great home insurance and safety tips. Florida Peninsula Insurance Company
is one of Florida's leading homeowner insurance companies, insuring homes located in cities
like, Tampa, Orlando, Pensacola, Panama City, Tallahassee and West Palm Beach. We strive to provide Florida homeowners with fast, friendly service insuring their homes at competitive rates.
Currently rated by 0 people