Florida Power and Light has provided homeowners the following useful tips for hurricane season:
Using a ladder before a storm:
- Take note of power lines before you begin.
- Make sure scaffolds and the ends of tools you are using are at least 10 feet away from the power lines.
- If you are going to be lowering a TV antenna or satellite dish, make sure to turn off and unplug TV before doing so.
Setting up a generator:
- Set up generators outside and connect appliances directly to the unit.
- Do not wire a generator directly to the breaker or fuse box; the power can flow back into power lines and cause injuries.
- Never operate a generator inside your home or garage; the toxins released can be fatal.
- Keep generators away from open windows so exhaust does not enter your home or neighbor’s home.
After a Storm:
- In the case of severe damage, make sure to stay away from downed power lines, flooding, and debris.
- Don’t walk in standing water.
- Don’t venture out in the dark because you might not see a line which could be dangerous. If you see a downed power line, call 911 or 1-800-4-OUTAGE.
To see more FPL safety tips visit www.FPL.com/storm.
Currently rated by 0 people