There are millions of toys in the market for children. Each year, we see new trends right in time for the holiday season. But you must remember, but because they are popular, doesn’t make them safe. Each year, hundreds of kids are treated in hospital emergency departments for toy-related injuries. Here are some general guidelines to keep in mind when shopping for toys this year:
- Toys made of fabric should be labeled as flame resistant or flame retardant.
- Stuffed toys should be washable.
- Painted toys should be covered with lead-free paint to avoid consumption if your child chews on it or it begins to chip.
- Be sure to purchase art materials which are non-toxic.
- Crayons and paints should say ASTM D-4236 on the package, which means they've been evaluated by the American Society for Testing and Materials.
- Avoid older toys & hand me downs from friends and family. Apart from germs, these toys may not meet the current safety standards and may be so worn out from play, they can easily break and become hazardous.
- Avoid toys with small parts such as marbles and detachable pieces your child could easily swallow. This is a choking hazard and can quickly turn into a life-threatening situation.
- Always purchase a helmet and knee/elbow pads when giving a bicycle, skateboard or skates as a gift. You should always teach your child to use these things before letting them play on their own and make it a rule to wear a helmet and knee/elbow pads.
Another important rule to teach your children is to never play with fireworks, matches or scissors. Lots of times, many things which aren’t toys can tempt children even more. It’s important to always supervise young children, especially around the holiday season when there is so much going on. Enjoy!
As one of Florida's top homeowners insurance companies, our number one priority is the safety of you and your family. As such, Florida Peninsula provides our policyholders with robust coverage options, as well as offering flood protection and partnering with local insurance professionals throughout the state who can ensure you have the coverages you need. If you are in the market for a homeowners insurance quote, give us a call at (877) 229-2244 or get a quote on our website.
Currently rated by 0 people