Halloween is known to be one of the spookiest days of the year. However, Halloween may turn scary when safety precautions are overlooked. According to Safe Kids Worldwide, three in four parents express concerns about their children’s safety on Halloween. To make Halloween a Spooktacular time for all, consider these safety tips:
- Parents and/or responsible adults should always supervise their children while trick-or-treating.
- Look both ways before crossing the street as drivers may have a difficult time seeing you.
- Put electronics away to avoid distractions.
- Always walk on sidewalks or paths.
- Adhere reflective tape or stickers on bags and costumes to be seen by drivers.
- Do not let your child wear a mask while walking, as some masks may obstruct their vision.
- When picking a costume, be sure it is the right size and length to avoid trips and falls.
- Choose fire-retardant costumes and accessories.
- Be extra alert during peak trick-or-treating times between 5:30 and 9:30 pm.
- Drive slowly through neighborhoods and be alert for trick-or-treaters crossing the roads.
- Never drink and drive.
- Provide your children with a healthy meal prior to trick-or-treating to avoid them filling up on Halloween candy and treats.
- Always check Halloween treats before consumption. Although tampering with candy is rare, all treats should be closely examined just in case.
- Ration treats and candy for the following days and weeks from Halloween.
- Remove potential tripping hazards and decorations away from trick-or-treaters.
- Light jack-o-lanterns with battery operated candles.
- Should you have decorations requiring power, make sure you do not overload extension cords. Check on the cords often to see if they are overheating.
Follow these tips to ensure your children stay safe on Halloween. We hope you and your family have a Spooktacular Halloween! For more tips on Halloween safety, visit Safe Kids Worldwide.
At Florida Peninsula Insurance Company, our number one priority is the safety of you and your family. As such, we provide our insureds with a coverage rich policy, while partnering with insurance professionals throughout the State who can ensure you have the coverage you need. To learn more about Florida Peninsula, please contact us at (877) 229-2244 or visit the Get a Quote section on our website.
Currently rated by 0 people