Recognized each October, National Fire Prevention Week serves to educate the public on the importance of fire safety and prevention. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), fire departments across the United States responded to 357,000 home structure fires in 2017. These fires were responsible for 10,600 injuries and 2,630 deaths. These numbers show the importance of fire safety and fire escape planning. As such, we would like to share the following safety tips:
- Never leave a hot stove unattended and always keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen.
- Be sure to have a smoke alarm inside bedrooms and outside of each room of your home, and test them frequently.
- Check your outlets and extension cords to make sure they are not overloaded.
- Do not smoke inside your home. Or better yet, quit smoking altogether.
- Keep flammable items in open areas and away from heat sources.
The theme of this year’s Fire Prevention Week is “Not Every Hero Wears a Cape. Plan and Practice Your Escape”. Consider the following escape planning tips:
- Create a home fire escape plan.
- Each member of the family should know two ways out of every room.
- Don’t forget to designate an outside meeting place.
- Practice a home fire drill with your family at least two times a year.
We hope you take these tips into consideration to keep your family and home fire safe. For more information on fire safety and Fire Prevention Week visit the NFPA website.
At Florida Peninsula Insurance Company, our number one priority is the safety of you and your family. As such, we provide our insureds with a coverage rich policy, while partnering with insurance professionals throughout the State who can ensure you have the coverage you need. To learn more about Florida Peninsula, please contact us at (877) 229-2244 or visit the Get a Quote section on our website.
Currently rated by 0 people