International Fraud Awareness Week is November 17th to 23rd, 2019. According to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), there were over 1.4 million fraud reports in 2018, which resulted in losses of roughly 1.48 billion dollars. The most abundant types of fraud in 2018 were imposter scams, debt collection, and identity theft. Florida was listed as one of the top three states which reported fraud to the FTC last year. As fraud becomes a more prevalent issue, we would like to provide you with the following tips to prevent falling victim to fraud:
• Do not give out personal information unless you know it is trustworthy
• Check to confirm the web address changes from “http” to “https” or “shttp” when you put in any financial or sensitive information.
• Be cautious of unsolicited emails and delete fraudulent emails immediately.
• Verify the legitimacy of an email, text, or call by contacting the company on the phone or in-person.
• Do not wire money, use a reloadable card, or use a gift card as forms of payment to a possibly illegitimate company.
• Get a second opinion before you give personal information or money to an unreliable source.
For more information on scams and preventing fraud, click here.
In the event you should fall victim to identity theft/fraud Florida Peninsula stands ready to assist you. We offer identity theft expense coverage which could be added to your homeowner’s policy at a minimal cost. This coverage pays for expenses incurred as a result of any single identity theft or fraud discovered or learned of during the policy period up to a limit of $25,000. To learn more about our identity theft coverage, or to add it to your policy, contact your agent.
Keeping your family and home safe and protected is Florida Peninsula Insurance Company’s top priority. We are one of Florida's largest homeowners insurance companies offering multi-peril policies covering homes, condos, and renters insurance. For more information, or to get a quote, please call 877-229-2244.
Currently rated by 0 people