The arrival of summer means time for family vacations and weekend getaways to relax and enjoy those we love. For Floridians, it also means the beginning of hurricane season. As you make travel plans this summer, take the time to ensure your home and belongings are protected while you are away. Taking a few preventative measures prior to your departure will result in a more enjoyable, worry-free vacation, should your home be in close proximity to the path of a hurricane or tropical storm while you are away.
Have fun and relax knowing your home is secure and protected by taking the following steps:
- Ensure your insurance coverage is up to date and you are properly insured.
- Reinforce your home's exterior structure by securing all windows and doors with hurricane shutters.
- Be sure trees and shrubs are trimmed to minimize damage from broken branches.
- Secure or store away lawn furniture, BBQ grills, potted plants, and other loose items.
- Unplug all appliances, except the refrigerator, to minimize the risk of electrical fire or power surges.
- Shut off the water supply and drain water from the pipes by opening all faucets and flushing the toilets to clear water from the tanks and bowls. Shut off your washing machine and dishwasher water valve to avoid leaks from broken hoses.
- Store sensitive documents and other valuables in a safe deposit box or fire-proof safe.
- Take photos or video of your property before you leave. This will be helpful when completing an insurance checklist should you experience any damage and need to file a claim.
Give a spare key to a friend, neighbor, or family member so they can check on your property and take immediate action should the unthinkable happen. For added peace of mind, install security cameras or link your smartphone to a webcam using one of these top ten home security apps, which allow you to monitor your home - even when you are at the beach!